God gave us prayer to be His very breath on this earth. Prayer causes the very life of God to be exhaled through us and causes God’s Kingdom to stay activated. Genuine prayer can be put on the shelf and called on only during time of difficulty or crises. We say, “Well ALL we can do is pray”? Our churches and leaders are also inept in prayer and missing the very thing that God has given us to build His house. We MUST return and restore ALL that God, Himself intended for His people. The men and women from Genesis to Revelation would be appalled at the lack of prayer in today’s church and God’s people. They would be shocked to hear the way we pray. Prayer is given to us to be a normal way of life! The Word of God shows that it was never seen as something that was only done effectively by the leaders. Prophets prayed! Kings prayed! Priests prayed! Women prayed! Children prayed!
Prayer releases the breath of God. This brings the will of God into any situation as it is in heaven. We have God’s breath, The Holy Spirit. And when we don’t know WHAT to pray, He, The Holy Spirit will pray through you with groanings that cannot be uttered. We can pray in the spirit and with understanding. As we pray in tongues, The Spirit of God is praying through us, then our mind and reasoning are not involved.
Prayer has been watered down, ignored and replaced. This causes us to be left to our own strength and our own understanding. Too many things have replaced authentic prayer, which causes us to live beneath our God-given inheritance AND we need to repent. When we merely give God what we call “a quick word of prayer” just to say that we prayed, this is very childish and completely ignorant of God’s Word.
Prayer MUST “EXPLODE” again in your life to return to the abundant life that Jesus died to give us.
Get BACK to praying again this year!
“Explode with prayer”
- Practice praying throughout the day
- Place reminders on your mirror and desk to pray
- Pray quickly about every situation you are confronted with
- Pray for the sick
>When children have colds, etc.; Show them that prayer is the first thing to do because you believe God heals
>Pray for those who tell you they are sick. Either for them and if possible pray WITH them
>Pray healing scriptures over yourself and others
>Ask God for strategic healing prayers
- Start weekly prayer meetings with family
- Start praying for “An HOUR” each day
- Study Scriptures on prayer
- Ask Holy Spirit to teach you to pray
- Pray for your family and church continually
- Pray for region and nation
- Get involved in a prayer group or groups
WHY WE DON’T PRAY:
- We have “fixers” by nature
- We have never learned how to pray
- Prayer has become more about ritual than about relationship
- Prayerlessness can be hidden
- We don’t really believe prayer works
- We have never been broken under God’s hand
- We read the Word in a one-sided way:
>We often read the word for information transmission more than life transformation. This happens especially with preachers and teachers of the Bible.
>When we approach the Word that way, we miss the opportunity to be in dialogue WITH God. Our Bible reading – even when preparing for teaching or preaching – should bring us to praise, confession and obedience. It should lead is into prayerful conversation with God.
- Some have simply lost hope
- We miss the gospel focus on the prayer life of Jesus
>Meditate on Jesus’ prayer life in the Book of Luke. In your quiet time this week read these texts
>Note how Jesus prayed
>Listen to His teachings
>Then, respond to Him in prayer
Luke 3:21-22; 4:42 (cf. Mark 1:35); 5:15-16; 6:12-13; 6:27-28; 9:16, 18, 28-29; 10:1-2, 21; 11:1-13; 18:1-8, 9-14; 19:45-46; 20:45-47; 21:36; 22:17-19, 31-32, 39-46; 23:33-34, 46; 24:30, 50-51.